Thursday, January 13, 2011

Hot chili for a chilly day!


Chili seems to be my go-to comfort food during cold weather. I love to make a big pot early in the week and then just enjoy it for days. I eat it by itself, over pasta or rice, over a baked potato with cheese, over tortilla chips with cheese and sour cream, even in an omelette! Here's my mom's recipe, tweaked just a bit:


Pecos Chili

1 lb ground beef
1 medium onion, chopped
1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
1 14.5-ounce can fire roasted diced tomatoes (or regular diced tomatoes)
2 15-ounce cans chili beans (I like Ranch Style when I can find them)
1 15-ounce can seasoned black beans
1 15.25-ounce can corn (I like Del Monte Summer Crisp)
1 tsp ground cumin
½  to 1 ½  tsp ground red pepper
½ tsp garlic salt

Brown ground beef and onion in a medium skillet, seasoning lightly with salt and pepper along the way. While meat mixture is browning, add all other ingredients to crockpot. Once meat is browned and cooked through, drain and add to crockpot. Stir to distribute ingredients evenly, then cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours. Serve over hot vermicelli or rice. 

*If you don’t have time for the crockpot, simply brown the meat mixture in a large nonstick skillet, drain, then add all other ingredients to skillet. Simmer for one hour or more (the longer, the yummier!).


Note: I served the chili shown above in the Small Server from the Gail Pittman Alfresco Pottery Collection. See more from this collection at  my Willow House website -- just click on the Online Store.



Visit thecsiproject.com

2 comments:

Camille said...

This sounds so good and super easy! My kind of recipe! Thanks for linking up to the CSI Project!
Camille
www.SixSistersStuff.com
PS We have a link party every Saturday and we would love to have you come share this!

Suzanne said...

Thanks, Camille! I hope you'll try it -- and tweak it to suit your family. I did link up -- this post and another. Thanks for the invite!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...